Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Number One Killer In Summer Golf

Well if there are any regular readers left, I want to thank you for your patience. This has not been my year to say the least. I've been out with a horrendous set of bulging discs--despite a disc friendly swing, and with summer here--it's high time I warn everybody against the number one danger of summer golf--DEHYDRATION! It's part and parcel of what put me where I am in this season's golf game--directly behind the eight ball. Here's what you need to know in order to beat this often deadly bit of nastiness that plagues all summer sports here in beautiful 100+ Degree North Central Texas.

Many of my readers know that last summer I suffered a heart attack after walking 27 holes in 103* heat. That's not usually a problem for me, golfing in the heat that is, as I know how to stay hydrated. The heart attack was actually more a case of my Chicken-Fried Everything Diet catching up with me. A clogged artery finally screamed--"Enough already you old fart!---We're going to the hospital, and you're going to learn to eat right. " Alas--I miss Popeye's Fried Chicken, and over indulging in Blue Bell Ice Cream, but hey, I've eaten enough of that stuff for 5 people. While I was in the hospital, I did learn one thing about staying hydrated, and that is-----make sure to bring along some electrolytes for your drinking water. Once those electrolytes are gone from your body, water alone can't save you. Here's some tricks besides that that you need to remember.

KEEP A BOTTLE OF WATER WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES

Preferably water with which you have added the aforementioned electrolytes. It is very important that you have that bottle with you for several reasons. First of all, you need to sip between almost every shot--if at all possible. Do Not Gulp the Water!!!!---It will weigh you down, and your shots will not come off as planned. It is harder on your muscles to wait for liquids they sorely need, and just as hard on your stomach, if not harder, when you gulp large quantities of liquids after long dry spells. Your body and your game will appreciate how much better off you feel and play if you keep your hydration levels constant.

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH

If it's 90+ Degrees outside, and you haven't urinated within the past 30 minutes---you are not drinking enough water. That may sound extreme, but it's true. In hot muggy weather your body is pouring out every ounce of liquid it can muster in order to cool off. You need to track that amount without becoming pre-occupied with it. It's hard enough to keep score of your game, much less your bladder. Let's just say that if you aren't knocking off that pint bottle of water every 3 holes---you're still not drinking enough. Most courses have water and or a bathroom every few holes. Take advantage of both. If you don't, you may notice that your ability to hit good recovery shots is starting to fade like your favourite old pair of jeans, and that is not a good thing.

REMEMBER THE FOREIGN LEGION

Take along a face towel for a hydration rag. Wet this towel with cold water, and re-wet it at every watering can or fountain along the course. Stick the towel on top of your head before putting your hat on. Rotate the towel so that you can see out of the front, but allow it to drape over your neck ala Ye Olde Foreign Legion Cap Style. (Remember--"Beau Knows Heat!") This acts as insulation, and the moisture that gets drawn out of the rag and through your hat will act as the old-fashioned cooling towers of the 30's and 40's did. You will also notice that your neck no longer gets sun burned. It is advisable to remove the rag and wipe your hands with a golf towel before taking a shot. You'll feel cooler, and more refreshed this way, and you won't have to suck down as much liquid just to keep cool.

NOT JUST STANDING ON A SOAPBOX

After my heart attack the folks at the hospital must've pumped me full of more saline than an entire day's production at The Tyson's Chicken Plant. This just goes to show how much the heat can suck out of you-- even when you try to stay hydrated. Unfortunately, despite my good hydrating habits at the golf course, I had not been practicing such good habits out in the garden for several days beforehand, so that left me vulnerable. Basically, stay hydrated all summer long is the lesson I learned here. The heart attack cost me half of last season, and my late start to this season can be indirectly attributed to it as well. After the heart attack, Crestor was just another of the many new meds introduced to my diet. Unfortunately, I turned out to be that lucky guy that forced Astra Zeneca's Lawyer's to add the addendum, "on rare occasions Crestor can cause muscle deterioration." After the muscle deterioration, there was no longer enough critical mass in the Lats and Abdominal region to support my spine, so we've been working on rebuilding all of that. So theoretically, if you'd like to get technical--Dehydration can destroy your golf season, and that's only if it doesn't kill you first. I consider this a public service to all who read my blog, and I will be back to regular columns soon. I'd love to get back to writingonly about all things strictly golf---but remember--without your health--there is no golf season.

All The Best

Bernie

No comments:

Post a Comment