Sunday, June 14, 2009

Metal Madness To The Ninth Power

Though it is rare that I get attached to a club, it does seem to happen from time to time, and usually for very good reasons. When I decided almost a decade ago to resurrect my game after having given it up back in the day when Woods were made of wood, most balls were wound, with the "performance ones covered in Balata, and 2 1/8" tees were considered "The Tall Ones"--even for the driver, I became keenly aware of how much the game had changed. Lofts were getting stronger on both the new-fangled metal woods, and the irons.
Back in the day 13* was often the actual loft on a wooden driver. Funnier still, that same driver was usually 43.5" in overall length vs. today's 45-46" and 9* of loft. You only had 2 choices of shaft--regular or stiff. Back then all shafts were steel. Nowadays the irons and wedges are a full 2 1/2-3 clubs stronger in lofts. Yesterday's 48/49* Pitching Wedge is now anywhere from 41*-44*, and strong as an old 7/8 iron. Maybe that is why I felt so comfortable with a 7 Iron when I came back to the game. It was, afterall, the same loft as my trusty old 5 Iron. Better still, it had a much larger head, and a shorter overall length. Because of these factors my 7 Iron was my favourite club for the first 2 years I came back to the game.
It wasn't too long after I rejoined the game, that Adams Golf resurrected Harry Vardon's favourite club--the hybrid. There's a lot to be said for hybrids. I myself fell under their spell for several seasons, and still recommend them for most people as a long iron replacement. They are by far easier to hit than the 2 and 3 irons they replace, and they are quite versatile as well. I packed them as replacements for my 2,3,4 and 5 irons and was exceptionally happy with how well they helped an old duffer like me cut my handicap. Sadly, the sweeping motion of my basic swing still favoured the motion necessary for swinging a fairway metal succesfully, and I have since returned to them instead. Years ago, back in the days of Balata Balls and Wooden Woods, if anyone had suggested I'd be packing a 9 wood I would have laughed hysterically. But today's 9 Wood is the same loft as the 7 Wood of days gone by. Back in the day, however, if a middle aged guy like me used to lose consistency with his 5 Iron--out came the 7 Wood. Since today's 9 Wood is yesterday's 7 Wood/5 Iron, it's no wonder I've fallen in love with this crazy club.
After watching David Toms use a 5 Wood as a utility club, long distance pin-seeker, chipper, etc.. I began to wonder if the same concepts could be applied to a 9 Wood succesfully. --Trust me--they can! If I need a funky fringe chipper--away we go. Anything in the fairway from 165-185 yds is fair game for this club, depending on the type of swing I prefer to put on her. The standard issue is a nice easy 85% Swing from 175 out. The ball will fly very high, and plop down softly on the green. Ball position is a key factor in working this club, and makes working this club a whole lot easier than club face rotation etc...If you really want to find a different spin for your game, possess a more sweeping stroke than most, and find that hybrids just don't do it for you--I highly reccomend both the 7 and 9 Wood. They sound ridiculous in this day and age of hybrid mania--but if you can find one--give her a swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment